From commitment to action! Please oppose bills that increase incarceration and support bills that help people stay out of prison.
Contact us at DecarcerateIL@gmail.com.
Decarcerate Illinois member organizations may not individually endorse or oppose all actions on the site, although we share the following fundamental principles:
• We must create policies with evidence-based, cost-effective solutions, with the goal of public safety, individual rehabilitation and human rights.
• We should fund and promote alternatives to prosecution and incarceration through the use of community-based, diversion and specialized programming before, during and after involvement in the criminal legal system.
• We must remove the lifetime consequences imposed by the criminal legal system on men and women seeking to actively reengage in the community after arrest or conviction.
• We oppose any increase in sentencing or removal of judicial discretion and instead support practices that allow for individual consideration.
• We especially challenge incarceration for those with substance-use disorders or serious mental health problems.