Join us May 7th to take stock of our accomplishments and how to create even more #cjreform!
You are invited to a special
Jobs NOT Jails Statewide Strategy Meeting
Saturday, May 7 from 12:00-2:30
150 Mt. Vernon Street, second Floor
Dorchester, MA 02125
The meeting will focus on:
1. Both celebrating and learning from the March 30th signing into law of the repeal of the $500 fine and up to 5 year waiting period for people to regain their driver’s licenses.
2. What we can still accomplish between now and the Legislature adjourning on July 31:
- Several bills, especially one to raise the threshold for what’s considered a felony for theft from $250 to $1500, have passed the Senate and are pending in the House.
- We are trying to win $2 Million in initial funding for a program for job training for ex-prisoners and court involved youth via a budget amendment to really put an emphasis on the jobs part of Jobs Not Jails.
3. The BIG, BIG chance this fall for major criminal justice reform through the CSG Justice Center Justice Reinvestment Initiative that could greatly lessen numbers of people incarcerated and increase jobs. The Governor, House Speaker, and Senate President will jointly decide how much or how little to propose in terms of criminal justice reform legislation for the next legislative session by this December. We will talk about strategy to impact what they decide. Learn more about this initiative here.
Food will be provided.
Find directions in the attachment.